Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Snowmadeggon in Maryland


Snowstorm Jonas dropped by our house and really made its presence felt. 
The snowstorm began on Friday and by Saturday morning there was a almost a foot of snow. It continued to snow all through the day and stopped only in the night on Saturday.

Sunday morning we decided to walk to our new house to make sure that there was no power outage. We had turned on the faucets in the house to drip so as to avoid freezing of the pipes. Walking the two miles to the house was quite a treacherous trek. The sidewalks had snow higher than two feet and we walked on the main road - we were not the only ones walking on the road and thankfully the cars slowed down for the pedestrians. 

We saw a couple of folks returning with groceries from Giant. On Friday afternoon when we dropped down to Giant to pick up milk, and coke for L, we saw extra long lines at the counters. People were stocking up on bottled water, ham, bread, chips and any food. Beer and huge vats of wine were also being checked out. It seemed as though the snow apocalypse was going to turn up. The bottled water aisle was empty!

In India, we would fill up all the buckets with water for such an eventuality but when I got home I realized that I had only one tiny bucket that doubles up as a trash bucket and a lingerie washer. Well we filled up our Brita filter and the sodastream bottles and hoped and prayed for the best!

So when we get to the house on Sunday afternoon we were greeted by a super high pile of snow. I realized that I had never shoveled snow in my life before. During my stay here in the US, I have only rented out apartments and did not own a car. This meant that I could enjoy my Winters without any worries at all much to the chagrin of my friends. Luckily there were two shovels in the new house and I have an experienced husband who had done this several times before - which meant I got to enjoy shoveling the snow :-)
We found that there were no power outages and everything was fine indoors. We did not bother to empty the snow on the deck - we decided that the deck was strong enough to handle the weight.

Something that I noticed during this snowstorm is how people go about clearing the snow around their cars. In the parking lot, people would pile the snow in front of the adjacent car - if a car managed to leave the parking lot, the snow from the adjacent cars on either side would be piled in that empty parking spot! This meant that when that car returned there was no parking spot for that car!

Cars parked along the sidewalk on the road had a huge wall of snow along the roadside. The owners would dump this snow back on the cleared road - this seemed futile effort in keeping the roads clear. It would take the same amount of effort in dumping the snow on the sidewalk instead. I almost spoke my mind to some of these fellas but stopped myself - was not sure if they understood the language. I mean the language of reasoning.

We got two entire snow days - our workplace was closed on Monday and Tuesday. But we had to work from home since we were telework capable :-(





No comments:

Post a Comment